Swakopmund is a city on the coast of western Namibia, 352 km (219 mi) west of the Namibian capital Windhoek. The town has 44,725 inhabitants and covers 196 square kilometres of land. The city is situated in the Namib Desert and is the fourth largest population centre in Namibia.
Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture. It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South West Africa. As of the 1970s, German influences remained evident, including German street names, a German daily newspaper, and the German language being spoken by some residents.
Buildings in the city include the Altes Gefängnis prison, designed by Heinrich Bause in 1909. The Woermannhaus, built in 1906 with a prominent tower (Damara tower), is now a public library.